Sunday, April 11, 2010

Philips HDR112 Tivo Digital Video Recorder

DVR's are great. I have 3 -- 2 Replays and a Tivo. I highly recommend them over VCR's for all the reasons you read in all the reviews. They also work quite well with few glitches, so I hadn't had much chance to test their tech support, until recently.

My Tivo unit is not properly contacting the server to download the program directory. This has been going on for over 2 weeks, so now my unit won't record at all. Tivo support lines have 30 min+ waits to get through. Online support is very limited. Upon getting thru to the first Tivo number, finally, they sent me to a second Philips number, and they were closed, with limited business hours. It would be one thing if this were just bad out-of-warranty hardware support, we're all used to that. However, Tivo is charging $12/month for the directory service and to not be willing to even take my call on it is frustrating.

I've had no problems with 2 Replay TV units, which I've owned longer, and would recommend them over Tivo. Functionally, the units are essentially the same -- Tivo's slightly easier to use but Replay is slightly more flexible. My next unit will be another Replay.Philips HDR112 Tivo Digital Video Recorder

No comments:

Post a Comment